Thursday, October 14, 2010

Call of the Panther


Panther Valley is not hard to find, just follow the exit signs off the freeway going north from Reno. Panther Valley park on the other hand is not easy to find. Unless you have been there before you could drive around for a while looking for the park. I have been there before so I thought I would go see the panther sculpture, since I must have missed it the first time around. Well the first time I missed it was because I didn't know it was there, this time I was looking for it and couldn't find it. I drove around the park twice and decided to get out and look around on foot. The park is pretty small maybe a little over 2 acres, and walking around took all of 10 minutes. I still couldn't find it so I walked around again, just when hope was lost I started back to my car. Low and behold I found it, I parked not 10 feet from it. The sculpture is a mosaic of a panther, but on one side (the one I happened to be on) it is black with green and brown grasses camouflaging it in the bushes. The other side is quite colorful and the mosaic has smaller panthers inside of the bigger one. It is very well done, and once I stopped kicking myself for not seeing it, I thought it very clever to have it hidden in the bushes. It really is quite a beautiful piece of art you just have to look around a bit to find it.

 That's my car in the background. Ha Ha

1 comment: